Menu

The Importance of Hiring A Professional Electrician


About Me

The Importance of Hiring A Professional Electrician

When I bought my first house, I figured that I could do most of the repairs. After successfully installing a backsplash and replacing some of the carpet, I started focusing on things like electrical work. Unfortunately, the reference guide I was using was outdated, and I was shocked by a new type of cable. That day, I decided that some tasks simply aren't cut out for novice homeowners. I shifted my focus to hiring professional subcontractors, and it made a world of difference. This blog talks about the dangers of doing your own electrical work, and why you should always use a professional.

Latest Posts

Sensors To Make Your Home Smart
12 November 2019

One of the ways to make your home smart is to inst

Electrifying A Livestock Shelter? What To Know And Why It Is Important
29 August 2018

The benefits of electricity are not limited to res

What To Do If You Can't Find An Electrician Job
3 April 2018

Working as an electrician can be a great job, and

Installing New Lighting? Here's Why You Should Hire A Professional To Get The Job Done
18 February 2018

So you have picked out a new lighting system for y

Tags

Avoid An Electrical Fire In Your House With These 4 Tips

You may not think very much about having an electrical fire inside your house. However, there are thousands of electrical fires a year. Here are some things you can do to avoid such an event in your home.

Check Bulbs

To avoid problems, go through your house and make sure that every lighting fixture has the right kind of bulb in it. When bulbs have too much wattage for the fixture they're in, the excess heat may damage the fixture's wiring. If that happens, there could be an electrical fire as a result. You will know whether a bulb is the correct wattage by looking at the cord tag or the lamp itself; usually the information is clearly posted.

Monitor Electrical Cords

It's a good idea to keep an eye on the cords of appliances you use every day, like the iron cord or the cord to your laptop. Over time, cords can become frayed and expose wires that might cause an electrical fire. Every time you use your appliances, glance at the cord to ensure it isn't frayed or damaged. If you do observe some fraying, you may be able to cover the cord with duct tape, but think about whether you can replace the appliance to avoid problems.

Be Careful When Removing a Cord from a Socket

If you are like a lot of people, sometimes you just yank an appliance to get the cord out of an outlet. However, you may not know that by yanking the cord out that way, the interior wiring of the socket might be affected, causing a circuit short that could lead to a fire. Instead, make sure you pull the cord out of a socket by the plug.

Keep Flammable Items Away from Working Appliances

Even if they are not broken or malfunctioning, common household items that heat up can pose a threat. Keep portable space heaters, irons and other appliances away from curtains, towels, blankets and other things that could catch on fire.

It is also smart to remember not to stick electrical cords underneath throw rugs. You may want to keep the cords out of sight, but if the cord overheats, the rug could ignite.

Use the information above to help you prevent electrical fires in your house. Make sure to talk to an electrical contractor such asDunedin Electric Co., Inc. about the overall condition of your electrical system so that you know whether there are any active problems that need to be addressed.